Registration / Paper submission Manuscript Guideline
Conference venue and local area
Map of northern Germany
Map of Travemünde
Ground plan of MARITIM-Hotel
The Passat was belonging to the P-line fleet, which was put into service by the brothers Ferdinand and Carl Laeisz. The names of the ships all had a P as initial. The first big bark, still built from wood, had the name “Pudel”. Later these big sailing ships were made from iron, the “P” became a trade mark for 65 times. On December 24, 1911 the PASSAT started her first trip from Hamburg to Chile passing CapeHorn. The outward journey took 81 days, the return journey 94. From 1911 to 1914 the ship sailed to Chile four times, the shortest trip took 70 days. Until 1951 the Passat was a pure sailing boat. Only then she was converted to a cargo loading training ship with a 1000 HP engine. The engine was giving the ship a sailing speed of about 6 knots. If the wind was advantageous and all sails set the ship could reach 18 knots. The crew consisted of 86 men, it had grown by 50 men on the occasion of the reconstruction.
The ship made her last trip in 1957. She left the Elbe on February 14 and reached Montevideo after 19 days. The Passat was unshipped and sailed to La Plata. There she took a cargo of grain for Hamburg. On the return journey she got into severe storms in the North Atlantic and had to seek refuge in Lisbon because of a listing condition. On December 8, 1957 she entered port in Hamburg. This is how the the last trip of the big sailing boat ended. Afterwards the Passat was withdrawn from circulation and made her final stop in Travemuende on January 8., 1960. Since then the Passat serves as a museum ship and can be used for various events, as for example the SRF2003 banquet.
Some Informations about Travemünde
Originally Travemuende was a small fishing village at the Trave mouth. Travemuende was founded in the 12th century and exclusively lived on fishing and navigation for centuries. At the end of the 18th century Travemuende was declared a seaside resort. From now on Luebeck's bourgeoisie used the place to build up their summer residences in accordance with their rank. The most popular place for visitors already then was the spa hotel. In 1833 Travemuende received a casino and therefore became known far beyond the national frontiers. It was often visited by famous persons of those days, among others Joseph von Eichendorff, Iwan Turgenjew and Richard Wagner. Emanuel Geibel was writing poems on the bathing resort and Clara Wieck wrote enthusiastic letters to her later husband Robert Schumann about a sailing trip. In Thomas Mann's worldwide known novel "The Buddenbrooks" the grand society is portraied and how they used to spend their summer resort in Travemünde. We know about Franz Kafka that he horrified few bathers when he took a walk on Travemünde beach bare-footed. Nowadays Travemünde is a holiday resort, a sailing area and health resort and furthermore has a big ferry harbour with connections to the Baltic states and Scandinavia. Besides Travemuende is hosting Europe's highest lighthouse which is on the Maritim's roof in a height of 117 m.
Some useful links about Local area, sightseeing etc...
MARITIM Strandhotel at Travemünde
Lübeck for tourists
Official homepage of Lübeck
UNESCO World Heritage Luebeck
last update:01.09.03 MHF-SL | TESLA | DESY | Webmaster